Foster in Your Home
- Must be residential home, not an apartment,
- One foster parent must not work outside the home,
- Home must pass site inspection,
- Home must have one fire extinguisher per floor, on smoke detector per floor and two carbon monoxide detectors,
- Home must have owner’s insurances in place,
- Bedrooms for children/youth in care may not be in a basement,
- All bedrooms must have a window,
- All homes must have more than one exit,
- All homes must complete a Foster Home Study form.
Foster In Our Homes
- All applicants must have a College or University degree in an appropriate field of study such as Psychology, Child & Youth Work, Social Work, and Sociology etc.
- As well, Spectrum will consider mature persons who life experiences and significant experience with Children and / or Adolescents.
- Foster Parents must be available to live in one of our homes on a 24 hour, 7-day per week basis. They will be entitled to two weekends off per month and between 8-16 hours per week.
- Candidates must be prepared to make commitment for a period of one year.
- Foster parents provide a major portion of the care that is vital for the growth and development of children.
- Therapeutic foster parents are graduates of Community College or University and hold a Diploma or a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Mature foster parents with extensive experience in managing difficult behaviours.
- They adhere to a professional code of ethics and implement a range of prevention, intervention and treatment strategies based on training and experience.
- Our foster parents participate in a 5 day orientation program prior to direct involvement with our clients. This is coupled with ongoing in-program training and regular monthly agency wide training.
- All foster parents must present a clear vulnerable sector screening, a clean medical letter, 5 written references and a intensive home study interview.
- Foster parents who foster for Spectrum in their own homes are required to complete a safe home study and a comprehensive home security check which includes fire safety equipment and a fire escape plan.
- Regular weekly supervision of all foster parents.
- Weekly clinical meetings to review treatment plans.
- We provide long term treatment & specialized foster care for children & youth ages 0-21.